A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday 14 November 2017

Wreaths

The current Christmas Card Throwdown challenge is a sketch:


I changed the oval to a circle as I wanted to make a Christmas wreath.


I love making these little wreaths and the cards always sell well at my fundraiser.  I use the good old Martha Stewart pine branch punch and punch many branches out of various dp that have grass on them (made for scrapbooking themes on various sports) - there is really nice colour variation in them that makes the wreath more pleasing to my eye than just plain green.

I die cut a thin circle using two Spellbinders circle dies, then start gluing the branches down, overlapping each one, pointing some to the inside and some to the outside.

I attached it to an embossed background with a ribbon "holder" looped over the top and a matching bow.


While I had all my supplies and paper out, I went on and made two smaller wreaths (for these, I cut the pine branches in half) and created these two cards:




For both of them, I used the Sizzix brick embossing folder and the Memory Box door die.  The first one has gold gemstones on the wreath and my feeble attempt at representing front steps.  The second has red gemstones, a bow, and a swag over the lintel.

A few more weeks and I'll be making my own real Christmas wreath for my front door!





Supplies common to all cards:
various green dp, Martha Stewart pine branch punch, Spellbinders circle dies

Supplies for card 1:
Old Island Stamp Co. sentiment, red linen cs, white cs, Martha Stewart wreath punch, red ribbon, SU embossing folder, ColorBox Chianti ink, clear embossing powder,

Supplies for card 2:
white, red, and mottled ivory cs; Memory Box door die, gold gemstones, copper nailhead embellishment 
Supplies for card 3:
white and mottled dark cream cs, Memory Box door die, red gemstones, red ribbon, copper nailhead embellishment 




9 comments:

  1. No 'feeble' attempts here at all!...They are all lovely and well done! My very favorite is card No.3...I could just 'walk' right-in through that front door! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of punching but so worth it, Susan! Beautiful wreaths!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your punched pine boughs are gorgeous for all 3 of your beautiful wreathes, Susan. I would love to see a photo on your blog of the real boughs too:-) TFS your 3 festive and beautiful cards my friend. BTW, I got your front door step right away:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful job you did with these wreathes! This is probably only one of three punches I own and I have never made one of these. I love the variation in the colors of green that you chose. Thanks for sharing these, Susan! I may just have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the foliage, so perfect for your scenes, especially the doors :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the wreath done from patterned paper. You're right, it gives a nice variation of colour. Three beautiful wreath cards, Susan. I bet your hands are tired from all that punching out! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love wreaths, real and created on cards. The punched paper is very effective and I'm noting how you've attached the ribbon at the top. They are all beautiful in the simple colour scheme.
    Thanks for playing along at Christmas Card Throwdown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic festive cards you made :-)) I like your wreath.
    Thanks for playing along at Christmas Card Throwdown, Andreja DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these cards and all the different ways you’ve used the punched pines. Don’t have that punch, but may have to CASE with my dies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.