A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 10 July 2016

Snowflakes in July

Trying to catch up with my self-imposed quota of 10 Christmas cards a month!  This brings me up to 5 for June and we're already into July so I need to spend some serious time in the craft room.

The SCS Free for All challenge this week is Recycle It" - find something to recycle on your card.  Here's what I came up with:


I used a corrugated cup sleeve from a take-out tea I had recently. I mixed some white gesso with silver shimmer paint and randomly painted over it and then trimmed it down to an even rectangle. I bordered it with silver mirri cs. The card base and snowflake flourish are white shimmer cs.

I wanted the sentiment to match the colour of the corrugated cardboard so used Sepia ink with champagne embossing powder over it.

I'd originally thought of putting silver snowflakes on the corrugated cardboard but there wasn't enough contrast, so I took the silver snowflakes I'd die cut and turned them into this card:


I kept it very CAS in just silver and white.  I like the deckled edge die for winter cards and I love that Penny Black sentiment die! 






Supplies for card one:
Stamps: Rosie's Roadshow sentiment
Paper: white shimmer cs, silver mirri cs, corrugated cup sleeve
Ink: Versafine Vintage Sepia 
Accessories: gesso, silver shimmer paint, Memory Box snowflake flourish die, champagne embossing powder 

Supplies for card two:
Paper: white cs, silver glitter cs  
Accessories: Penny Black sentiment die, various snowflake dies, silver sequins, Nesties deckle rectangle die  

   



5 comments:

  1. I love both your Christmas cards Susan. You are inspiring me to add to my stash. I especially love your corrugated panel with your die cut. TFS my friend. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two fantastic cards Susan. LOVE the corrugated background with the shimmer paint. Great mix of rustic and elegance (ying and yang??). :) And love your elegant silver snowflake card. The deckled frame is just perfect for this card! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you've used that cardboard sleeve with the white snowflakes and the sparkly silver ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you embellished the corrugated 'tea cup' with gesso and shimmer paint and such a pretty die cut on top. Love your attention to detail with matching the colour of the sentiment. Those dies on the second card look fabulous in the silver shimmer and I thought the background was rough cut but realised it's the deckle die which works great. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous cards x

    ReplyDelete
  5. great cards...they look so elegant and so pretty Susan!!
    hugs,
    K

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.