A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday 27 September 2015

My Zigs have arrived!

I am so happy to have my lovely set of Zig watercolour brush markers!  They are so different to regular markers with their fine real brush tip - they'll take a bit of getting used to.  But I quickly did a very simple card with them just in time to enter it in the Merry Monday Christmas Card Challenge "watercolouring".  It's also for the "colouring" challenge at Happy Little Stampers.


I also used a new Penny Black stamp I just bought.  Simple stamping with black archival ink, watercolouring it with the Zigs and a water brush, bordering with black, popping up on foam tape, and it was done in time to photograph and get into the Merry Monday challenge with minutes to spare.

Now I'm going to be super critical of myself - which is what happens when I do a card in such a rush.  First of all the image and sentiment are not laid out the way I'd like it so the card looks unbalanced to me - maybe the sentiment in the top right corner would have been better, or moved over further to the right at the bottom, or I could have turned it into a square card.  Maybe some flicking of black ink would have added more interest.  It just looks unfinished to me!  If anyone wants to comment on how they'd improve it, please do!

I might come back with some variations using this stamp and see if I can get something I'm happier with.







Supplies:
Stamps: Penny Black Holly Tweet
Paper: black and cream cs, mixed media cs
Paper Size: A2
Ink: Ranger Archival Black
Accessories: Zig brush markers, foam tape

7 comments:

  1. I think this is beautiful, Susan! Maybe the sentiment could edge to the right just a bit. I'm impressed with your first try with the Zigs and I'm glad you shared it with us at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job watercoloring with your Zigs. Thanks for joining us this week at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the Zig markers blend so beautifully, this is just such a lovely and beautiful card and you did a fabulous job water coloring it.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Maria Rodriguez.
    www.swimbikerunandstamp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your colouring with your Zigs. Would never know that it was your first try with them. LOVE the colours ... so vibrant and pretty. Moving the sentiment up and over just a little might balance it a bit better, but it's such a slight change. I really like it in the bottom right. Great job! Thanks for sharing at Happy Little Stampers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This rocks--and no need to be critical of your card. I love it as is! But if you wanted, you could add a trio of red enamel dots or sequins or a fussy cut sprig of holly by the sentiment on the right. You've left just enough space for that whether an accident or not :)

    Toni
    HLS CAS DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your colouring .... fantastic results for a first try. Thanks for playing along at Happy Little Stampers .... Linda xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.