A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday 1 January 2018

Cling Wrap Background

It's January 1st, the start of the New Year and the start of a new CAS Mix Up challenge.  You'd all think it was time to be done with Christmas cards, but sorry, my example for the Design Team is yet another Christmas card!  Hopefully you're all still in the holiday mood and won't mind!

The challenge this month is "Cling Wrap".


I went with a technique that uses Brushos, spray starch, and cling wrap to create my background for this card.


I started by spraying a piece of mixed media paper with spray starch.  Then I sprinkled with a couple of shades of blue Brushos.  I scrunched a piece of cling wrap over the top and left it to dry for a few hours.

I got the most beautiful background that seemed perfect for a winter sky behind my reindeer die cut.

The sentiment is stamped and heat embossed, and the panel die cut with a stitched square and then popped up on fun foam.


There  are several videos to give you ideas over on the CAS Mix Up blog, as well as cards by the rest of the Design Team and our wonderful Guest Designer, Christine of It's a Card Day's Night.  The challenge is open until January 24th.

Please remember to keep your card clean and simple, and include some stamping, a technique that uses cling wrap, and at least one other thing from the list on the right hand side of CAS Mix Up.  I have Brushos and die cutting.

And best wishes for 2018 to all my followers!






Supplies:
Stamps - Rubber Soul sentiment
Ink - Brilliance Pearlescent Sky Blue
Paper - white cs, mixed media cs
Size - 4.75" square
Accessories - Memory Box Deer Family die, Lil Inkers stitched square die, blue Brushos, spray starch, cling wrap, clear embossing powder, fun foam



15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cling wrap with Brushos and spray starch background, Susan. I love all the texture you achieved from the cling wrap. Your background is so perfect for a night sky and so beautiful against your die cut deer. I never tire of your creative Christmas designs:-)

    TFS and Happy New Year my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your background turned out amazing using mixed media paper. LOVE that icy blue that is just perfect for a winter sky. I never tire of Christmas cards. It's good that you're getting an early start as I know that you make over 100 for your Christmas card sale for charity ... plus your own to send out. Best to start now! :) Happy New Year sweet friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, I recognize this beautiful card as it is now on a door in my kitchen along with my other Christmas cards received! (It just arrived on Friday!) I love all the creases in the blue that you achieved with the wrap - so pretty with the white deer! Wishing you a Happy New Year Susan! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm never tired of Christmas cards so keep them coming. This is the perfect technique to use up all those scraps :). The deer look beautiful against the deep blue of night. Great Card.
    Happy New Year and looking forward to all our crafty get togethers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a rich, beautiful background, Susan! So perfect for these sweet deer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful and such a vivid blue against the white deer Susan. Christmas cards are always useful towards next year's total. Wishing you a Happy New Year. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a spectacular background, Susan! You do such a beautiful job on this technique and one that because of your work, I have tried it! Hope to do more of this. Love the clean and classy look of the rich blue and white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful icy winter sky you created with the cling wrap technique, Susan! The white sweet deer are in great contrast to the gorgeous blue background. Happy New Year! Hideko :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christmas cards, especially this beautiful, is good any time of year IMHO. Might as well get a head start on your Christmas card fundraiser for next year. 😉 Love this colour blue. So vibrant and bright and perfect as a chilly winter night sky. I’m going to have to dig out my cling backgrounds from our get together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year! (was a little too quick to post 😂).

      Delete
  10. Beautiful card, the blue background looks amazing! Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure does make the perfect sky, absolutely amazing and unique. Great strong colours and the white die cut looks fabulous against it x Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is definitely a northern winter sky, love that Brusho Blue. Such a rich background for those deers, smart choice. Beautiful finished with just white too.
    Happy New Year dear friend, lots of health and more health wishes for you and yours!
    Warm hugs, Joanna xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a deep rich royal blue background for the stunning shapes of these white deer! I must try doing the starch spray first, as I sprinkled brusho then sprayed. This is a gorgeous card, Susan. TFS the card and the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful blue cling wrap sky Susan for you snowy card - just gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.