A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 14 November 2015

Mixed Media Reindeer Tag

My good friend, Loll Thompson, is having her second Christmas tag challenge.  It's called Twelve Tags of Christmas and it runs from November 4 - 15, with the linky remaining open until November 22 so participants have lots of time to enter.  There are some fabulous prizes! 

The tags have to be mixed media.   For this event, Mixed Media is defined as stamps + ink, plus two other elements which add texture and/or dimension.

I'm honoured that Loll asked me to be one of her Guest Designers.  Here is my tag:



I started by inking a white tag with two shades of Distress stains.  I then darkened the edges with a matching Distress ink.  Then stamped the text stamp after wiping off some of the ink.  I added a spritz of homemade gold spray (appropriately made for me by Loll!).

I die cut two layers of the "joy" sentiment and three of the reindeer from a copper shimmer cs, glued them together and glued to the tag.  I decided the upper left corner needed something so used embossing paste over a small sprig of a holly stencil, then searched all my glitters for a green that would work - none would so I had fun blending green, blue, and graphite glitters together.

I embellished with a bit of ribbon and one gemstone for the dot over the "joy".

Here's another shot that shows more of the wonderful gold spray:


Thanks so much for looking and please join us before November 22 by creating and adding your tag to Loll's blog.







Supplies:
Stamps: Inkadinkado text stamp
Ink: Distress Brushed Corduroy and Peeled Paint
Paper: premade white cs tag, copper shimmer cs
Size: 4.75" x 2.5"
Accessories: Distress Stains (Peeled Paint, Bundled Sage), Tim Holtz holly bough stencil, embossing paste, glitter, dark green ribbon, copper gemstone, Tim Holtz joy die, Dee's Distinctively deer die, homemade gold spray

11 comments:

  1. LOVE! Such a beautiful design Susan. Your background of shades of green is the perfect colour to show off your gold script stamping. The reindeer is gorgeous ... and he looks amazing cut from bronze card stock with a spray of gold to add some shimmer. The mix of glitter for your holly sprig turned out beautiful. Thanks so much for Guest Designing at my Twelve Tags of Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just lovely, Susan, loving the gold splatter

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Tag! I love the dull gold with the green :) beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Susan! I LOVE this background and that shimmery copper deer! I'm inspired to try some distress stain to color a background. I hadn't tried that and the combination of stain and ink is fantastic! Love your mix of glitter too! (I hope you Mom is doing better.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi teamie Susan! LOVE that oh, so, pretty tag! The shimmery stag and sentiment, with that little gem above the j for added shine and that lovely, soft green background all adds up to one stunning design! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog today! have a lovely upcoming Sunday my friend! Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful background, Susan! Love the amazing shimmer on this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, love the shimmer but even more love the reindeer it's beautiful in the shimmery copper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors and sparkle you achieved with this beautiful tag, Susan! Your background is just divine!! Congratulations on being a GD for Loll's fun event!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous tag .... I love the colours of the background and your stag is beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the green and brown colors you used - and the wonderful gold spray gives the whole tag a wonderful shimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I love the green and gold background paired with the copper reindeer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.