A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 18 November 2015

A Card and a Tag for Happy Little Stampers

I love the fact that the Happy Little Stampers challenges run for a whole month!  It gives me a chance to enjoy them so much more.

This month the HLS CAS challenge is "Gilding".  I did an earlier card for it using my gold gilding flakes but also wanted to do something with my silver ones.


For the doves and the words, I covered scraps of cs with Sookwang tape, die cut them, and applied the gilding flakes to the top.  For the background, I used a stencil and spread IndigoBlu's Flitter Glue (designed for use with gilding flakes) over it, then removed the stencil and applied the gilding flakes to the glue.

The doves are popped up on foam tape, as is the blue panel.

Then the HLS Christmas challenge is "Tag" and the HLS Mixed Media challenge is also "Tag" (though for the Mixed Media challenge, it doesn't need to be a Christmas tag).  I'll put this in both, but because I'm on the Design Teams for these two challenges, I won't be in the running for one of the great prizes!  I'm also taking it over to Loll Thompson's "Twelve Tags of Christmas" event.  You have until November 22nd to link up your tag for this.


I really stepped outside my colour comfort zone with this one!  Those who know me will know that the peace dove card above is right in my comfort zone but this tag is way out of it.  

I inked up the tag with some red, pink, and orange Distress stains, then spritzed with gold spray.  Added a faint bit of text and some stencilled poinsettias with a Christmas blend of glitter on the embossing paste.

I die cut the layers of the mini poinsettia in three different colours of shimmer cs, the flourish in two of them, and the sentiment in the gold one.  I dyed a scrap of seam binding to match the background and tied a gold cord bow around it.

Here's a close-up of the die cut poinsettia:


My next tag will be back to blue and white - I don't think I can handle much of these hot colours!

Supplies:

Peace Dove card:
 Dies - Memory Box and Impression Obsession doves, Tim Holtz peace on earth
 Paper - dark blue, shimmery silver, and scraps of white cs
 Other - Simon Says Stamp Falling Snow stencil, IndigoBlu Flitter Glue, Cosmic Shimmer silver 
 gilding flakes, foam tape

Poinsettia Tag:
 Dies - Spellbinders Noel, Cheery Lynn flourish, Memory Box small poinsettia
 Stamp - Inkadinkado text stamp
 Ink - Memento London Fog
 Paper - white tag; gold, bronze, and burgundy shimmer cs
 Other - Tim Holtz poinsettia stencil, white embossing paste, Sparkle 'n' Sprinkle Christmas   
 glitter,  homemade gold spray, Distress stains, gold cord, seam binding



 





9 comments:

  1. Your gilded doves are so gorgeous Susan ... and they really stand out on the dark blue background. Beautiful card ... and yes, it is totally YOU! :) The tag is so different for you ... not your favourite colours of green, blue and purple. You have really stretched on this tag and you have done an amazing job. The colours are awesome together. Especially love how the pink and orange work so beautifully with your gold, bronze and burgundy die-cut accents. Thanks so much for sharing at my tag event. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the blue and the mica flakes. They really are gorgeous. Also love the bold and vibrant pink tag. Great to see something different fro Christmas and it works really well, I do so love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are glorious works of art, Susan! I can tell from the looks of them that they take your breath away in person with all that lush sparkle! Your strawberry-hued tag - oh, my! I want lipstick that color!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tag is super fantastic--love the colors and texture so much. Gold and pink rock! I may have to pick up that MB poinsettia die. thx for enabling me LOL

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS!! love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love BOTH of these...can't pick a fav. The gilded doves against that starry background are just so beautiful. The happy colors on #2 are gorgeous too, and the glittered embossed poinsettia design was lovely with the gleam of the bouquet at the bottom corner. Great colors on each, wonderfully executed designs. TFS & joining in the HLS November Christmas Tag challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two fabulous festive projects. Love the gilded doves on your Christmas card and your tag is simply gorgeous, the poinsettia is beautiful! Thanks for playing along with the Happy Little Stampers CAS challenge and the Mixed Media challenge. Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, both of these are beautiful, and you would never know you were not completely at ease with that pink color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, both of these are beautiful, and you would never know you were not completely at ease with that pink color scheme!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.