A blog devoted to the cards I make in my tiny upstairs space. When my sister stays there, she calls it an "artist's garret". I'm not an artist, but am an enthusiastic cardmaker - hence the title "Cardmaker's Garret".
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday 31 October 2015

Chickadees and Cardinals

I live in Vancouver, Canada, and we get tons of chickadees here, but sadly no cardinals.  Cardinals are the ultimate bird for Christmas cards so I always do some cards with them, but in honour of my local birds, I also do some with chickadees on them.  Today I've got both to show you.

First up, cardinals:


I love this old Northwoods stamp and it works perfectly for some blank gold cardbases I have. It's very basic card - stamped, coloured, and sponged around the edges of the image. Then bordered with some red. And a bit of glitter added to the snowy parts of the branches.

Then two versions of the same chickadee, using one of my favourite Christmas stamps:



Both are stamped on watercolour paper and coloured using Inktense pencils.

The first one I die cut and kept in the die so that I could sponge around it.  The dp I used adds a sentiment to the card.  I kept the second version more muted to go with the dp I chose to use for it.  I die cut a circle frame and layered it all together and added a sentiment attached with twine.

All three are for the October theme of birds over at the SCS Christmas Card Challenge.






Supplies:

Cardinal:
Northwoods stamp, blank long gold cardbase (8.25"x4"), white and red cs, Memento Tuxedo Black ink, Distress Antique Linen ink, markers, glitter

Chickadee Version One:
SU Beautiful Season, PTI Vintage Cream, watercolour paper, Hot off the Press dp, Memento Tuxedo Black ink, Distress Antique Linen and Scattered Straw inks, watercolour paints, Spellbinders label

Chickadee Version Two:
SU Beautiful Season, PTI Vintage Cream, watercolour paper, Echo Park dp, circle dies, label die, red twine













2 comments:

  1. Beautiful "bird" Christmas cards Susan. Especially love the colourful cardinals paired with the gold card base. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful pair of cardinals! They are so elegant with the gold card! And the chickadees are delightful! I love chickadees as much as cardinals! And good for you using some of that DP!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message! I love hearing from you.